5 Thoughts on Senior-Year of College!

November 8th, 2018 tluong19

Even after three and a half years being on Mount St. James, I am still heavily bleeding purple! As I am wrapping up my last fall semester at Holy Cross, I would like to share with you FIVE things that I have learned (thus far) as a senior on campus:

1.   Senior year is a marriage between excitement and anxiety! One big happy family!
I am so excited to take on my post-undergraduate journey and to experience everything that the adulthood has to offer, but at the same time, I can’t help feeling a little anxious about uncertainties. Fortunately, I am pretty good at trusting my own judgement and I am confident in the education that I have obtained here at Holy Cross. I know that everything will work out for the better! Plus, uncertainties are things that make life more exciting anyway!

Dear old Friend Georgina and I representing the marriage between excitement and anxiety

2.   It is never too late to foster new friendships. Never too late to rekindle old friendships.
Senior year is weird. It’s the weird transition between college-hood and adulthood. I can’t help but wonder if I’ll ever see some of my classmates again after graduation- especially those that became closer over the years.

3.     Balancing was KEY before—Balancing is EVERYTHING now. 

Academics have always been my first priority. But goodness. I had to learn and take a few steps back the hard way. It is so easy to get overwhelmed on a campus like ours due to the academic rigor, standards, and expectations. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s bad, but hey. When will be the next time we get to experience life as a college senior year again? We only have a few years in the early 20’s, right? Come on; live a little (in a safe and responsible manner, of course).

Decided to join friends for dinner at Williams Hall instead of locking myself in the basement of Dinand Library

Edith’s 21st birthday! I’m spending more time talking with Edith (my friend and roommate) instead of rushing to go to bed early each night

Allowing myself to indulge in friends and their companies at the dinner table instead of rushing back to the Science library each time

4.    This is the year where I MAKE TIME for different undergraduate extracurriculars.

I have to admit that I have been on the email list for some of the clubs and organization since freshman year, but never really made the time to attend the events or meetings because I was always “too busy”. Well, I went and tried out the HC Ballroom Dance club the other night for the first time in three years and boy oh boy… I wanted to kick myself for not showing up earlier in my academic career. Luckily, it’s not too late yet for me! I have about half a year left to try out more things!

Made time to practice and take parts (as a model and one of the MCs) in a FASHION SHOW! Best decision ever!

Made new friends along the way!

Grandfather, father, and little brother came to support me at the DESI’s fashion show

5.    Senior year is the year to become even more INSPIRED (by others and self!), AWESOME, and COMPASSIONATE! 

Alright. Fall semester is realllllly close to the end. I’ve been on campus for a while now; I had and (hopefully) done with the stressful/awkward period where I had to “figure out my self” (aka- major, and other “college-stuff”) so I can definitely use this time to focus on something else that benefits me both academically and personally. I finally realized that maybe it’s about time to really reflect and focus on my well-being and happiness on a different and deeper level!

Grateful to have been invited to join this year HC Alumni Association dinner and to have met such inspiring individuals!!!

Senate weekly meeting featuring in this photo, our guest, Dr. Mark Shelton (director of Holy Cross libraries)

Student Government Association fall retreat

Bonding time at the SGA fall retreat!

Research Symposium ’18 with Friends!

One of the cool stuff we did in lab!

Roomie and I at the senior ball! AKA “college prom” or “college pramh”

Sandy’s smile can heals all wounds

That’s it for this week! See you all soon!

Stay awesome,

Votey